Monday, January 16, 2006

Getting Back on Track

As I promised myself, I renewed my membership at the gym near work today. This time, I decided to book a session with a personal trainer to get my body fat tested which I didn't do last time. I have one of those scales here at home that measures body fat but who knows how accurate that thing is. Not too accurate, I hope, because I don't like the numbers I see! That session with the trainer is booked for next Monday, so we'll see what happens.

I had an awesome workout which felt so good! I went back to one of my old routines where I do full body and try to go heavy for 1-2 sets. Here's what I did:

Leg Curl: 50lbs (1 set, 12 reps)
Leg Press: 90 lbs (1 set, 10 reps)
Roman Chair lifts: 12 straight leg, 12 knees to chest)
Lat Pull Downs: 90lbs (1 set, 12 reps)
Smith Squats: 70lbs (2 sets, 12 reps)
Chest Press: 60lbs (1 set, 12 reps)
Bent Over Rows: 30lbs (1 set per arm, 12 reps)
Chest Fly: 50lbs (1 set, 12 reps)
Dumbbell Curls: 30lbs (2 sets, 12 reps)
Skullcrushers: 20lbs (2 sets, 12 reps)
Shoulder Raises: 24lbs (1 set, 12 reps)
Assisted Pull-Ups: 60lbs assistance (1 set, 12 reps), 55lbs assistance (1 set, 12 reps)

I followed this up with 20 minutes of elliptical working between 150-160 BPM. Nutrition was good for most of the day, but I got stuck in a 2-hour meeting at work that went longer than I expected and when it was done, I left to pick up my daughter and I was sooo hungry by the time I got home that I ate a little mac and cheese since my husband had that made for my son's supper. Not great, but I mixed in half a can of tuna, so at least that should help to neutralize the quick serge in blood sugar that the pasta caused.

I also picked up the Oxygen Fat Loss special so now I know all of the details for the cover girl contest. I have to say, I'm psyched! I'm gonna take my before pics tonight and give this thing all that I've got. Even if I don't win, I'll be a healthier and more ripped version of myself!

5 Comments:

At 6:48 AM, Blogger Brit-Man said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Brit-Man said...

Hay Julie, hope you don't mind me mentioning about the workout, as I did notice some possible improvements you could make to it, so I hope you don't mind me pointing some stuff out for you.

Just trying to be helpful as usual :-).

Leg Curl: 50lbs (1 set, 12 reps)
Leg Press: 90 lbs (1 set, 10 reps)
Smith Squats: 70lbs (2 sets, 12 reps)
Chest Press: 60lbs (1 set, 12 reps)
Chest Fly: 50lbs (1 set, 12 reps)
Lat Pull Downs: 90lbs (1 set, 12 reps)
Bent Over Rows: 30lbs (1 set per arm, 12 reps)
Assisted Pull-Ups: 60lbs assistance (1 set, 12 reps), 55lbs assistance (1 set, 12 reps)
Shoulder Raises: 24lbs (1 set, 12 reps)
Dumbbell Curls: 30lbs (2 sets, 12 reps)
Skullcrushers: 20lbs (2 sets, 12 reps)
Calf Raises: (2 sets, 12 reps)
Roman Chair lifts: 12 straight leg, 12 knees to chest)

I have moved some of the exercises around for better function on the workout.

What I suggest here in the workouts is, I have added the Chest Flyes after Chest Press, to keep all the Chest work together.

I moved the Pulldowns to after the Chest, as you sandwiched them inbetween some Leg exercises.

The Chair lifts, are an Abs exercise I beleive so I left that last, as Abs work is better before or after weights sessions, rather than part way through.

The Pulldowns, are now being done with the Rows, Pull-ups, and Shoulder Raises, as then your doing the Back and Shoulders in progression.

The Pull-ups and possibly the Rows, may have an affect in Shoulders, so it makes sense to add Shoulders on at the end.

I have added some Calf Raises at the end. I didn't put them with Legs, as they are a small muscle group, and would be better off at the end with the other small muscles.

I would also say, if you're having to do what you said about doing this 3 times a week, and possibly 2 of the sessions back to back, then, I would heed caution on the Rows and Chest Press.

The Chest Press will work Triceps, and the Rows and potentially the Pull-ups will work Biceps, so you might be possibly doing too much Tricep and Bicep work in one week, doing things how you are.

I would be inclined to possibly change one or both of those.

You could switch Chest Press for Dumbbell Pullovers, and possibly The Pull-ups for Barbell Shrugs, as the Shrugs are a Stiff Arm Exercise, and shouldn't work the Biceps.

Your weight levels are great, you're really doing well, and I'm glad you are taking that challenge, and you know you will have my 100% support with anything you ever do in life Julie.

GOOD LUCK Julie, and I hope the suggestions I made, help in some way.

Matt

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Teresa Miranda said...

Ohhhh contest in Oxygen that sounds cool and what a great goal to shoot for! Go for it girl I think I might enter it as well. Hope you don't mind lol.... Doing a great job!

-T

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Thanks Matt! I will definitely incorporate your suggestions into my workout. It's tough trying to get everything into one hour which is why I often end up doing the exercises in different orders depending on machine availability.

And hey Teresa, of course I don't mind if you enter the contest. In fact, I think you should! Even if we don't win, we would be doing ourselves a huge favour just by trying. Besides, they will also be publishing some honourable mentions in a different issue. Plus, it would be fun to have someone to compare notes with along the way!

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Brit-Man said...

Yeah, you guys should definitely enter together, you would both seriously kick ass :-).

I hope both of you do, and of course I'l lbe routing for the pair of you.

GOOD LUCK.

Matt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home