Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Rockin' and Rollin'

So far today:

Meal 1: -2/3 cup oatmeal with a few raisins and some skim milk
-5 egg whites
Meal 2: -apple with a small handful of cashews
Meal 3: -whole wheat pita bread with chicken, hummus, lettuce
-1 cup skim milk
-1 banana
Meal 4: -5 egg whites with melted low fat cheddar cheese
-1 whole wheat english muffin
-red and green pepper slices
Meal 5: yet to come; probably some plain nonfat yogurt with vanilla extract and some low fat granola pieces

I admit that I did also have 1 homemade chocolate chip cookie, but I stopped after that. Water intake has been good, but I should be aiming for a little more everyday.

I've been choosing cashews instead of almonds because where I live, almonds (especially natural ones) are so darned expensive ranging between $9 and $11 per pound! Today, they were on sale for $4.99/lb so I stalked up-Yay! The guy at the grocery store told me that almonds have become quite the commodity because of their health benefits which is why they have gone up in price. It's so stupid how eating healthy costs an arm and a leg while filling up your grocery cart with Kraft Dinner (which I do love by the way, but don't eat often), Chef Boyardee and those Mr. Noodle thingies is comparatively cheaper. How does this promote a healthier society when some people cannot afford to buy the foods that their bodies need to stay well? Sure, there are many who choose the "bad" foods even though they can afford the good stuff, but there are also those who genuinely have to stick to a strict budget which means buying canned, processed (and hence cheaper) foods over the fresh, natural ones. There's just something wrong with that system in my opinion.

I did my run around the block this afternoon which works out to be about 4K. I managed to do it in 26 minutes which I was pretty proud of. I'm going to keep track of my times here so that I can chart my improvement between now and the 10K. So, tomorrow I have to do it in 25 min. or less!

I had a meeting with my advisor at school today and found out I still have some work to do on my prospectus. I knew I'd still have some changes to make on my paper, but for some reason, I just felt bummed about it today and like the school madness would never end. So that run felt extra good and I'm doing better now. I'm still amazed at the de-stressing powers of exercise!

1 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Blogger kpottlitzer said...

the obesity problem in the us is compounded, in my opinion, by the fact that good, healthy food is so much more expensive and many times less convenient. your meals look yummy. homemade cookies of any sort could never take place on a normal day for me. i would eat all the dough. i love cookie dough! i feel your pain with school. i find myself thinking "will i ever not be a student?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home