Monday, July 17, 2006

Mini Getaway

Thanks for all of your great comments about the pull-up! Since my last post, I've been practicing on the monkey bars on our swingset in the backyard and I've proven to myself that it's not a fluke since I can still do one! Scot says that pull-ups are not about physical strength, but that they're all in the mind, but I like to think it's because I've gotten stronger too :)

We just got back last night from a few days away in Kitchener. Scot was giving a presentation for work and he has lots of relatives out there, so we decided to make it a family road trip and mini getaway. I didn't know how the kids would do with such a long car drive (6 hours) but they did great. We stayed with one of Scot's aunts who has a swimming pool so we got lots of use out of that since the temperature was in the 30 degrees Celsius range or higher everyday. The first thing the kids wanted to do when they woke up in the mornings was swim! My mother in law and I also went to a baby shower for one of Scot's cousins. We left to drive home right after the shower and we finally got back at around 11:00pm.

This should be an interesting week at work. Our whole office is moving down the street so I've got to pack up all of my things and get ready for that. I'm also going to be doing my first (and hopefully last) round of on-call from Friday night to Tuesday morning. That means I have to take the agency's on-call phone home with me and answer calls all weekend. From what I hear, it can be real hell and I'm dreading it. It used to be that part-timers didn't do on-call, but our former executive director asked me if I would do half a week instead of the regular full week that full-timers do. I agreed since I thought everyone was in the same boat, but I've since found out that another part timer is being exempted from on-call, so when the supervisor in charge of it gets back from holidays, I'm going to have a chat with him about this. Either all of the part-timers should do it, or none of us should as far as I'm concerned. Plus, the days that I have to pick up and drop off the phone are days I'm not normally at work, so I just don't think it's fair.

OK, rant over for now. I'm sure I'll have alot more to say about this on Friday when the real fun begins!!

7 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Thanks Kim!

The move is only temporary, but on-call is an ongoing issue. If my name stays on the list, I'll be doing it every 3 months. Some of my coworkers say you barely have time to eat let alone spend time with the family on bad on-call days. Eek!

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger kpottlitzer said...

you should definitely talke with your supervisor about the on call thing. it's completely unfair to ask only some people to be on call and not others. good luck with it!

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Lori said...

I still say good job on the pull up.

Lori

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger Donna said...

We have a 6 hour drive ahead of us tomorrow. This will be the longest for my kids yet. They are a little bit older though. We're prepared though, books, dvds, games, snacks, etc.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm sorry but I disagree with Scot. I agree that it is part mental, but has a lot to do with physical strength as well. Which means you ARE getting stronger!!! =) WTG JULIE!!!

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger KatieFeldmom said...

Welcome Back!
Hope things get figured out at work.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Amy said...

glad to hear you guys had a good time.

good luck with on-call.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home