Saturday, May 27, 2006

1:10:37

There you have it, my time in the 10K run tonight! I was hoping to finish a little closer to the 1 hour mark, but I still think my time was pretty darn good considering it was my first race. Besides, the furthest I had run in any of my practices before this race was 4K, but still, I didn't walk once through the 10K tonight! That's right, I ran the whole thing just like I had planned!

Being in that whole atmosphere was just a rush. I could really feel the adrenaline pumping as we were lined up at the start line. And then, hearing the crowd cheer you on is something else. I had to be careful not to start too fast because I was so pumped! It was a fairly warm evening with a slight breeze which felt like perfect running weather to me. At a few points along the way, I could see people literally passed out on the side of the road with paramedics attending to them. Yikes, that was scary! I'm sure it happens in every race though.

There were a couple of times I was tempted to walk but I didn't give in. In fact, within the last kilometre, it felt really tough, and I thought to myself that if the next song to come on my Ipod was "Breathless" by the Corrs, I KNEW I would make it. And it WAS Breathless! I love the beat of that song, but it also brings back memories of when I was pregnant with my son since it was popular at that time. I'm sure I still would have made it if some other song had come on, but it was a cool coincidence. Then, I saw the finish line and found a little extra speed to add on at the end. I'm just feeling really proud of myself for trying something that for many years I thought I couldn't do. Like I said to Scot in the car, who would have thought that chubby kid from years ago would one day be able to run a whole 10K? Can you tell I'm still on a runner's high ;)

OK, now that you have the scoop, here are the pictures to prove I am not making it all up :)

Here is me and my friend Jen before the race:

Me and my daughter before the race:

I just passed the start line!

Jen and I at the end, red-faced but still smiling!


I hope you are all having a great weekend!

12 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Congratulations!!! That's awesome. I think you had a great time. When's the next race???

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Wow, aren't you so proud? You did an awesome job. You definitely should be proud. And great pics.

Lori

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Thanks guys! I am definitely feeling proud and I am definitely going to compete next year and try to beat my time. Or maybe sooner if I can find another race nearby :)

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo Julie,

I knew you would do it. If there is something that I can say about you, I must say that you are consistent and very well dicipline. When you decide on something, you just don't give up. You've got the power girl. Congradulation!!!

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger kpottlitzer said...

that's awesome! great job!

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Janel said...

WOw that is great! Boy al of this great running, makes me want to find something to run in again. I need some runners high!!

Congrats!!

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Julie!!! I'm really proud of you! Maybe next year you'll be able to convince me to try it too LOL or maybe not.

Congratulations!

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Amy said...

congrats on your race!!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger KatieFeldmom said...

CONGRATULATIONS!
You did a great job and should be so proud!
Love the pictures!

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Way to go Julie!!! That is so awesome, great pics too! Seeing these pumps me up for my race on Saturday. Wish you could do it with me! You did a great job girl, feed proud!

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Way to go! You look great, you sound great. Very inspiring.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger chantal2bfit said...

I'm so proud of you! Congratulations! Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. I still have to build up the nerve to run a 5K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home