Sunday, April 30, 2006

Ending with a Bang

This has been one crazy week, let me tell ya! It kind of started off as a bummer, but ended well. I've been so busy at work between endless meetings, catching up on paperwork for an inspection we have tomorrow and dealing with client issues. One of the kids on my caseload who I just started seeing at the beginning of April (since he used to see one of the clinicians who was laid off) is starting to spiral downwards. He's running away from the residence, stealing cars, and doing drugs among other things. His discharge date is coming up soon and it's actually not uncommon that some of our kids who were otherwise doing well start acting out close to the time they are due to leave. Many are scared to return home and disappoint their families, and some have just come to feel safe at the residence and don't want to leave. So, some think that if they act out, we will keep them longer. Seems counterintuitive, but it's the way some of these kids work. The hardest part is that as a clinician, I want to "save" these kids from making big mistakes, but the reality is, I can give them the tools, and they have to choose to use them or not. Even knowing this doesn't make it easy, though.

Then, some of the nights after I came home from work, I spent time working on my school paper. I managed to hand in a draft to my advisor on Wednesday and she told me that there's a good chance I will not defend by May 31 as planned which means I will have to ask for yet another extension. I just want to get this thing done and it's taking forever even though I've been working my ass off! Because of the work and school craziness, I didn't get a single lunchtime workout in and by Friday, my body was craving some exercise and I felt the "bummedness" that comes from missed workouts. So, I turned things around on Friday and got in a great UBWO and HIIT run when normally I don't workout on Fridays. Then, Saturday we went out and celebrated my mom's birthday which was fun and today, we went to my in-laws' cottage and helped clean it up for the Summer. I went for a jog through the woods with my two sisters in law and now, here on Sunday night, I'm in much better spirits. I'm hoping this week will be a little more tame!

OK, so I can't wait to catch up on all of your blogs over the next couple of days. It feels like it has been weeks! Hope you are all doing well!

3 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Amy said...

sounds like a crazy week. glad you could get back into the swing with the workouts. your schedule is sounding as crazy as mine at this moment. I can definitely relate. Making sure i fit the workouts in still, (if possible) has been a huge plus that I have been able to maintain. helps keeps things in perspective and for a moment at least not so crazy!! have a great week.

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Donna said...

You are such a special person to be able to do a job like that. I can't even imagine. It must be hard to leave it there, and not take it home with you.

Good for you for getting those workouts in. A great stress reliever too. I feel so much better when I'm able to workout.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Kimberly said...

This week is going to be difficult for me to stay on track. I know how crazy work and life and school can be. Good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home