Sunday, April 23, 2006

Procrastination at its Best

I hate the fact that I'm such a procrastinator! Instead of writing this post, I should be working on my prospectus. I've been working on it since 9:00am this morning (it's 11:15 now) but I finally just had to take a break and even though breaks are good, once I start blogging, I often end up doing so for much longer than I should. I think I've posted about this before, but a professor at my university does research on procrastination and one reason why people do it is fear of failure. Rather than tackle something tough head-on, we sometimes avoid doing it because we are afraid we won't do it well enough. I know I feel that way about this damned prospectus and I just want this defense to go better than the one last November. I have been working my ass off on this since January, so I've got to believe that that will pay off for me in the long run. Sometimes the self-doubt creeps in, though. So, rather than procrastinating by being a couch potato, I'm procrastinating by being a "mouse" potato by blogging!

Yesterday was fun. Some friends from out of town who we haven't seen for about 3 years came up and we went to a birthday party for their 4-year old son. After lunch and presents (and yes, I did have cake and it was damned good!) we brought the kids to Gym Jam so they could use up all that sugar-induced energy. I followed the kids through the play structures and let me tell you, THAT was a great workout! I must have been in there with them for an hour going through the tunnels, climbing cargo nets, and going down the slides. Kind of like training for a tri-fitness event or something!!! By the time I was done, I was hot and sweaty and I must say it was one of the funnest workouts I've had in a long time. I think I might have pulled a muscle in my groin, though. I could feel it yesterday after I tried to swing my legs around to get positioned on the slide (hey, it's big in those tunnels, but not that big!) and I'm still feeling it a bit today. Nothing too serious, just a side effect of playing too hard!

OK, back to work. That is, after I check a few more of your blogs :)

6 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger Donna said...

So glad to hear you had a nice time crawling through those tunnels. I haven't done that in so long. We went to Seaworld quite a few years back and we went climbing all through the rope structures and my husband ended up screwing up his knee. It was a blast though. It is quite a fun "workout".

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger chantal2bfit said...

I'm the queen of procastination! I waited until the last minute to write my master thesis. But I've been doing this throughout my life. I seem to work best under pressure.

Good luck writing your prospectus! I'm sure you'll do fine.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Owweeeee, hope your groin feels better soon! ;) Yep, we both ate some yummy bday cake this weekend! HA! Back to it tomorrow though, lol. Interesting about procrastination...b/c I'm BAD about it. Making me do a lot of thinking here...am I really that afraid of failure? Hmmmm.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Kimberly said...

I like that- a "mouse" potato. Good luck finishing up your prospectus. I'm sure you will do a great job.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Janel said...

I posted about this on my blog and then Mellissa said to come and check yours...hmmmm, looks like a somewhat common problem. I think mine is pretty bad though, In a nutshell, my latest put-off is gonna cost me thousands of $$ umm, HELLO!!! And like Suzanne, I'm seeing it my kids and I can NOT le them catch this bad habit!! Does your professor have a link or any place I could read some research?? Does he reccommend any books or anything?? Sounds like we could all use a little help!! :D

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Thanks for all of the good luck wishes! I'm working some more on my paper today and hoping to submit a draft tomorrow.

Cheri: I should mention that "mouse" potato is not something I came up with. It's actually a term out there in the procrastination literature, but I love it!

Janel: I'm not sure how to put a link in the comments section, so I will add a new post with Tim Pychyl's procrastination website. It has references to lots of good books and articles. I hope this will help!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home