Sunday, May 07, 2006

Temptation RESISTED!

After church this morning, we decided to pick up some Wendy's on the way home for lunch. If I'm doing takeout, I like Wendy's because there are lots of healthy options. Well wouldn't you know it, but they brought the bacon mushroom melt back again. For those of you who haven't tried it, it's to die for. Right up there with Cadbury Creme eggs, I swear! When I was a teenager, I worked at a Wendy's and that's where I developed the Bacon Mushroom Melt (or "BMM" as we junkies call it) addiction. There was a moment there, where I thought I was going to cave, but somehow I managed to utter the words "grilled chicken sandwich, please", instead. Don't ask me how I did it, but I did. I decided to check out the nutritional info online when I got home, and now I'm extra glad I made the right choice:

Bacon Mushroom Melt:

560 calories
29 g. fat
12 g. saturated fat
2 g. trans fat

vs. Grilled Chicken Sandwich:

360 calories
7 g. fat
1.5 g. saturated fat
0 g. trans fat

Ay carumba! I knew the BMM would be high, but I didn't realize it was THAT high! And to think I used to eat it with fries and a soda and probably dessert. Sheesh!

This afternoon, Kyle had his first t-ball practice of the season. He's a lot less shy about it this year compared to last year when we put him in ball school. A lot of his friends from school are on his team, so that probably helps. His first real game is on Tuesday night. One of the other moms there happened to be a friend I went to elementary and high school with who I haven't seen in years. Small world that she lives in our neck of the woods. It was fun catching up with her.

The rest of the weekend was fun. We celebrated Scot's mom's birthday as well as our brother in law's b-day yesterday. We played some poker (surprise, surprise! We almost always do when we get together with Scot's family) and I won again! I was almost down and out, but one hand went my way and then everything turned around from there. For someone who had no idea how to play poker at this time last year, I've been doing pretty darned well. Maybe I should try my luck in Vegas! :)

6 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Blogger Amy said...

nice job on resisting the BMM. I could never go in thinking i would do a healthy option as Wendy's has become my favorite free day meal. Spicy chicken of course with the fries. Oh goodness. Now i am craving some wendy's.. have to wait a while until free day roles around again.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger kpottlitzer said...

you should go to vegas and get a bacon mushroom melt on your way! only on free day, of course.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Nice job on resisting that temptation. I haven't been to a Wendy's in years. My kids have never been. We've never been to a Taco Bell either. My kids used to like McDonalds, but since I had them watch Supersize Me, they haven't asked once. I'm so glad!

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

I like hearing stuff like this- how you can make somewhat good choices and I think ordering the healthy stuff encourages them to offer better options. Was it Wendy's that had the fruit plate but discontinued it?

 
At 4:05 AM, Blogger Julie said...

That's right, I forgot that Wendy's used to have the fruit plate with the little yogurt dips. I hadn't even realized that they pulled it from the menu until you mentioned it, Cheri.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger PartTimeMom said...

wow - killer job on making the right choices at Wendy's - it's not always easy but you saw the rewards.. You saved yourself a LOT of heartache!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home