Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Oh, the creatures that you meet!

Yesterday, I set out for my run and about 5 minutes into it, I noticed a fox about 50 metres ahead of me! I've seen foxes around my place before, but usually from the safety of my window. Scot has always told me that foxes are quite timid and won't harm you, but I have this image of foxes biting and not being too friendly and I think I've thought that ever since I was a kid. So, I contemplated turning back and I slowed down for a few seconds. Then, I decided to clear my throat really loudly to see what would happen. I was close enough to another house if I ended up needing to run for cover. When I cleared my throat, the fox turned around (I don't think it had noticed me before) and it immediately ran into the forest. So, I proceeded cautiously ahead but I'll tell ya, my body was moving forward, but my head was turned backwards until I was well clear of the fox area! I still managed to finish that run in 24 minutes, but if it hadn't been for Mr. Fox, maybe I would have finished in 23 min. Grrr!!

I was hoping to post pictures from our long weekend, but I somehow messed up our photo program while uploading the pics from the camera. Scot almost has it fixed I think. Anyways, every May, we help out at a local kids' Summer camp getting it cleaned up and ready to go. Well, it rained all weekend, so I got to spend my days outside getting soaked while fixing up the flower beds. The good thing is that the rain kept the mosquitoes away. So there I was, in my raincoat, plastic rain cover, sopping wet gardening gloves, and dirty running shoes when my son came over to me (he had spent the day doing activities with the counselors) and he says, "Maman, t'es belle!" which means, "Mom, you're pretty!" It was so precious that it brought tears to my eyes! Kids definitely see beauty in places we adults don't.

So, once Picasa is up and running again, I'll try to remember to post some pics.

7 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Glad you survived the fox! That really was a precious moment with your son, a good reminder of what beauty really is.

I love Picasa! Not that I know much about photo storage and editing, but I think it's easy to use.

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Donna said...

I'm looking forward to seeing those pictures. Great job on the running. I'm heading out for a run at lunch today. I'm hoping to decrease my time a bit, we'll see.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger chantal2bfit said...

Sounds like a nice run! The only animals I see during my runs are dogs, cats, and squirrels. Just be thankful it's not a bear.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger KatieFeldmom said...

Great job on the run, minus the run-in with Mr. Fox. All I can say is at least it wasn't Mr. Snake!

So, does your son speak French all the time?

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Yes, my son speaks French pretty much all of the time with me, but he speaks English with my husband. If I forget and start speaking English, he says, "En francais, maman!". He's really picked it up quickly since starting school.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Sounds like a great place to exercise. Teh only animals I see is dogs, cats and a rabbit. I almost stepped on a rabbit yesterday morning. He was sitting still so I wouldn't see him...It worked!! I almost steppeed on the stupid thing.

Lori

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I love what kids can say somedays. (Other days can be quite embarassing but what can ya do) How sweet of your son! Can't wait to see the pictures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home