Sunday, June 11, 2006

Mommy, get me out of here NOW!

If Emily could speak in full sentences, I'm sure that's what she would have said to me today. This was week 2 of swimming lessons for both of the kids. When I registered Kyle for his group lesson, I figured I should sign Emily up for the parents and tots course at the same time because I thought she would go stir crazy watching Kyle from the sidelines and would constantly want to be in the water too. Well, boy was I wrong! Last week, I went in with her and she literally screamed at the top of her lungs, cried and clung to my side for almost the whole half hour. It was pretty embarassing but I was determined not to give up. As I've mentioned before in my list of 25 things, I did not learn to swim until I was 18 because I was afraid of the water. And I always told myself that when I had kids, they would learn to swim at a young age so that they did not have that same fear. So, even though she is obviously scared, I would rather she get over it now. And the swimming instructor thought I should keep bringing her back so that she gets more comfortable in the water. She absolutely loves having baths and she floats on her back and everything, but I guess the deeper water is just scary right now.

So, today, I wasn't sure what to expect. All was well at first, but as soon as we reached the shower area in the change room, Emily refused to walk and I had to carry her out to the pool. When we got in the water, she again started crying and screaming a bit, but not as bad as last week. I'm sure the other parents were thinking, "would you just get her outta here, lady!" Then I took her over to the ball slide and we played some games with the group and I could tell she was having fun. She still refused to walk in the shallow water and she was still clingy at times, but I think it will get better each week. It's funny because Emily is usually pretty daring and fearless, but not when it comes to swimming. Kyle on the other hand, is usually more cautious, but his instructor says he's doing great and he seems to be loving it.

Yesterday, we had our families and friends over for Emily's birthday party. We had originally been planning a BBQ in our fire pit, but the forecast was calling for rain so we ended up deciding to do chicken and sandwiches and salads inside. After all was said and done, the rain didn't come, but it was darned cold, so everyone (about 40 people) pretty much stayed inside. Regardless, it was still fun but I was wiped at the end of the day. Actually, the last few days, I've been feeling unusually tired to the point where I had to have a nap this afternoon. I think it's been because of the late nights of school work and cleaning that I've spent over the past week. Time to get back into a good sleeping pattern!

7 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Amy said...

glad to hear the bday party went well. hope your little one gets used to the water.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

They always surprise you, don't they? Just when you think you've got them figured out.

She'll thank you one day!

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Just a lonely girl said...

Hey Julie!

Thanks for stopping by! Where are you in Canada?! Probably Alberta with my luck! :-D

When my daughter was 4 I decided it was time for her to learn to swim. We spent a lot of time at a pool, but she would only get in the water in my arms. One day, I put a life jacket on her and walked around the pool (the deepest part was up to my waist) and I tried to get her to float on her own, but she clung on for dear life! I peeled her off and tossed her into the water so I could show her that she would float with the life jacket. After that, I could never get her out of the water!! She's now completed every level of swimming including lifeguard assistant. At 16 she will get her NLS. She's a fish!!

I'm going to add you to my list of blogs...:-D

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Connie: Nope, not Alberta. Actually, I'm from Ottawa. Imagine that, we live in the same province!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger chantal2bfit said...

Poor Emily! I'm sure she'll be fine eventually. Once she see other kids having fun in the pool, she'll probably want to join in. Just keep doing what you're doing so she can get used to it.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I think it's great you're taking her!! I'm excited for when I can take Aiden to one. The fact that you're sticking to it throughout the fits is awesome. She will thank you for it later!!

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Lori said...

what a cute story. I had Kylie in lessons when she was 2 I think, 2 or 3. Anyway, they had me hold her and we would start singing ring around the rosie. When you say All Fall Down you go under water with the baby. Well after a while she caught on and when we started singing she would scream NO MORE ROSIE. it was so cute.

Lori

 

Post a Comment

<< Home