Saturday, July 29, 2006

Water really does work!

First things first, I want to thank all of you for your thoughts, prayers and best wishes regarding my last post. You guys are the best! :)

I've proven to myself that what they say about water intake being so important for weight loss is true. Over the past few months, I've had days where I'm bang on with drinking enough water and days where I haven't had nearly enough. Without fail, at the end of the days when I've had lots of water, my bodyfat is usually about 2% less than when I haven't drank enough. So yes, boys and girls, drinking water really works! :)

The past couple of weeks, I haven't gotten to the gym as much as I've been wanting to. I've been making do with some impromptu workouts such as pull-ups in the backyard, going outside and playing with the kids, and helping out at my inlaws' cottage (hauling huge buckets of water, walking up and down the hill to the lake, etc.). Even though these extras count (kind of), it doesn't feel good enough to me and I feel like it's time to sit down and really reorganize my schedule so that I'm fitting in more gym sessions. I'm feeling like I'm juggling so much right now that it's hard to find time for everything. It's not impossible, and I've done it pretty much all of my adult life, but for whatever reason, it's just feeling harder to get it all done these days...

So I was looking at my legs the other day, and I noticed I have a few new little spider veins. EEK!! I had some before, but it seems like there are more now. They're really quite minor and probably not visible to others, but they bother me, especially because I know my legs are the biggest area I need to tone down. Maybe that's my punishment for not working harder on them! Thing is, I've read that running can help prevent them from getting worse, but I've also read the opposite that because of the impact on the legs, running can make spider veins worse. Do any of you know anything about this?

I'm on holidays from work again this upcoming week, so yay! Then I'm back to work for 2 more weeks and off again the last 2 weeks of August. I'm so glad I spread my holidays over the Summer. I haven't decided what all I will do with my time off, but I know I will spend more time with the kiddos and get some school stuff done that I've been putting off for a couple of weeks. Ah, good times to come!

10 Comments:

At 6:27 AM, Blogger Lori said...

I have those darn veins too. Hate them. A tan helps hide them more I have found out.

Sounds like you have been very busy. Oh well, you can start up when things calm down,don't beat yourself up over it. Life happens.

Lori

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger kpottlitzer said...

i've only heard that genetics and being on your feet alot can cause spider veins. i've never read about jogging helping them. mostly, i think it's genetics. you are super busy and juggling gym time is definitely a challenge. i'm not as busy as you, but the way i look at gym time is that it's just another part of my day, like eating and sleeping. i know that if i skip it to save time i'll end up using that time in a wasteful way somehow later, so i'm really not "saving" any time. anyway, glad to hear you are doing well!

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I think it is good that you are making the effort to do what you can for excercise. Perhaps on your break from work you could get back into it.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Kimberly said...

I can't even talk about my legs :( But let me know if you hear anything else that helps :) Besides the tan . . .

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Just a lonely girl said...

It's interesting that you posted this because I pointed some new ones out to my honey just recently! I've always had a few, but now they're everywhere...even on my calves which are the only part of my body that I've always loved!

I know it's genetics, but other than that I have no idea what causes or prevents them. The best I've gotten is if you stand too long (waittressing...which I've done) or sit too long (desk job...which I do now) it makes them worse.

I can't get a tan to save my life because I'm Casper the friendly ghost, but when I got a spray tan they were less obvious.

I'm with you on the water realization...crazy stuff, huh?!

Hope things are calming down for you...your life sounds H-E-C-T-I-C!

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Janel said...

My spider veins are HORRIBLE! I mean, really bad. I asked my DR and he said theres nothing you can really do, its just genetics. My grandma just had hers zapped and it worked really well. I'm sure keeping the weight down, staying hydrated, and exercising will help with circulation, it has to!! LOL

GOod luck with the new schedule!

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Mari said...

Hi Julie
I don't think I have posted here before but might have an answer for you.
Running can help because it keeps your circulation going. It can also worsen them the faster and longer you run the more force you put on them. Mine are now to a point that if I run to hard to fast my legs ache. It is the ache like you walked 3 days in an amusement park kind of pain. Running can be good but to much force helps the valves in your legs give out. After to much running keep your feet up. If you are hurting rub the leg up only not down. Hope that helped.

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Stopped by say hello. Yes, I have spider veins too, yuck!

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Spider veins...here's my question- why do we not see these on men? LOL Life's not fair ;)

Thanks for the reminder, I REALLY need to be drinking more water!

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger chantal2bfit said...

I have to remember to drink more water. I always forget, especially while at work.

Don't have spider veins. I do have stretch marks all over. I don't know what's worse! It has become a lot less noticeable ever since I lost weight, but it's still there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home